|Angie loved the village of Long Preston where she lived, painted and kept bees. The old Baptist Chapel in the village was built in 1833 and demolished in 1970, but the graveyard remained. Angie bought the chapel site from the Yorkshire Baptist Association as a place to keep her beehives, but also to preserve it as a village amenity. After her death in October 2011 the graveyard became neglected and overgrown.
In 2012 the Long Preston Parish Council and the Heritage Group decided to work together to bring the former chapel site into public ownership and to restore it as an attractive open space in the centre of the village.
Many of Angela's friends and relatives wished to donate to a seat in her memory and what better place could be found for this seat than on the Chapel site.An Open Day was held on Saturday 20th June 2015 to celebrate the restoration of the Baptist Chapel site and the unveiling of the seat in memory of Angie.
|For information on the work of the Heritage Group follow the link - Long Preston Heritage Group|
Copyright © 2015 Angela B Schofield